My Coach

My Coach…

The other day I was out on a run thinking about how great my Coach is, so I decided to write about Him.

My coach goes on every training run with me, not only that, but He races right alongside me. He is constantly giving me encouragement as I go and giving me advice of how best to run.

My Coach loves to tell me about workouts that I will find both challenging and fun. Sometimes He surprises me with concepts that are outside my understanding. He knows exactly how my body works and exactly what type of training, nutrition, and rest it needs. Sometimes I am not the best at listening to advice but He is patient with me and just reminds me that I can have as much insight as I ask for.

He shows me how I can use my running to love other people, which is what He tells me, life is really all about. He tells me that just as long as I am loving Him and loving others then I am successful. He tells me I will experience joy in proportion to my love, but He doesn’t expect me to come up with this love by myself. I get so happy just from being around Him and talking to Him that I can’t help but to be happy and loving around other people. Sometimes when I am around Him I get distracted by other things but He is always there ready to love on me again. His love never runs out. He tells me I can have as much as I want.

My Coach has a different perspective on competition. He doesn’t think I should compare myself to others guys because in the end, when I compare myself to others, I don’t end up happy. He wants me to do my very best every time I toe the line. He even wants me to use other competitors to draw out my full potential, but in the end He wants me to be competing with a heart full of love for Him and my competition.

My Coach loves to watch me run! It brings a smile to His face and warms His heart. He particularly likes it when I take big risks and ask Him for help. After the finish line, He never gets upset with me even if I blow it. He is sad if I am sad, but mainly because He knows I don’t have to be sad, so He tries to broaden my perspective and restore my joy. He really loves to celebrate with me after I breakthrough.

He never gets upset at me when I mess up, but it does make Him sad when I am not full of joy. He tells me I should rejoice always. He is far more concerned with the attitude I have when I train than with the actual training itself. He wants me to be happy more than He wants me to be successful and He always tells me that I don’t have to be successful to be happy. Happiness comes from the heart, not from how well I run.

Actually my Coach doesn‘t see any of my faults. Not that I don‘t have them. It‘s just that He chooses not to see them because of a favor His Son did for me. It may seem prideful to say, but He is always telling me about all the things about me that He loves. Some of them surprise me, like how He loves to watch me dance in the car. He also tells me of his equal love for everyone else.

My Coach is a dreamer of dreamers. He believes in me even when I stop believing in myself. He tells me that Him and I can do things together that will blow my mind, but even better than that, as we experience life together we will share more joy than I could imagine. Every time I step to the starting line He tells me that anything is possible and I believe Him.

My Coach is full of surprises. He loves to come to help anyone who wants to His help. He works for free but He does require total commitment to His program.

My Coach loves everyone but He is particularly fond of those who are humble and who have faith.

He really likes it when I trust Him, especially when things seem to be going bad.

My Coach has all the best connections. He introduces me to people to help me right when I need them. He also introduces me to people that I can be helpful too.

Sometimes I can’t help myself from laughing at my Coach because He is so good to me. He grants my hearts desires when my eyes are fixed on Him. He is writing a story with my life that is a small part of a larger story that He is telling.

My Coach is the kindest person I have ever met. He is also the most peaceful person I know. He is always loving and everything He does, or doesn’t do, is from a heart of love. He is always good to me and is always looking out for my best interest. He always has hope for my future and is always encouraging me to go after more breakthrough.

I wish I could do a better job describing Him to you, but He’s indescribable. But in my opinion, this video does a pretty brilliant job…

This entry was posted in Inspiration. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

19 Comments

1. Ashish
    Posted May 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Will He give you an off day to join one of the fun runs at Zombie Runner?

2. Celeste
    Posted May 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

I really needed to read this today. Thanks for the reminder of God’s awesome love!

3. Posted May 8, 2011 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Beautifully said! You are an inspiration… but not only in running. Your unwavering faith is remarkable. Wishing you continued success!

-Maria xoxo

4. Angie
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I cannot put in words how much i loved My Coach by Ryan Hall, it is so very inspirational and beautiful. Thinking he meant, and that I would find someone in the likes of Alberto Salaar I was just blown away by how beautiful he writes……I know I will come back to read this time and time again after (or before) a fun, long, hard, hilly, or any kind of run ….Thanks!!!

5. Rhea
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

After a rotten weekend not making it past 3.1 miles out of my long run yesterday and not doing any miles at all today, I felt so much dejection and self pity tonight. Then I read this and starting crying very hard the whole time. Thank you for posting this reminder about God’s love for me and for everyone, and for being an example of having a Christ-centered love of running. I feel that God reached out to me through your post tonight and I’m very grateful to both Him and you.

6. Posted May 9, 2011 at 6:29 am | Permalink

I met Ryan and Sara at the Chicago Steps Foundation dinner last October and became CONFIDENT that they are the REAL DEAL. This post affirms that and validates Ryan’s widsom regarding his Coach and his God. I read the post to four Sunday School classes of adolescents with hopes to inspire them to journey to know their God in such an intimate way as to write like Ryan did about his Coach. Thanks Ryan for all you are doing in and for the Kingdom of God!

7. Dexter Pepperman
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 7:38 am | Permalink

It is exciting to know that others use the same coach as myself, I try to encourage others to try him out but they don’t seem to understand his style. But those who do always seem to reach their goals and are beyond estatic about the results they recieve from his coaching both in their running journeys, and personal life. I use to self coach and was always injuryed and unsatisified with my growth and development, but since him I am happy and meeting all my running dreams. Thank you for sharing this and hopefully more people will try him, because the best thing about his style of coaching is that the more that use him the better the rest of us become.

8. Jason
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Ryan- Keep on wearing your faith like a uniform for everybody to see. Despite the haters, the Lord will continue to use you as a bold witness. Keep the faith and live out the life God has in store for you. You will experience greatness in His presence and comfort in his shadow. Godspeed as you continue your quest to be great in this world, for you are already great in the eyes of the Lord. In Christ, JASON

9. Bob Arsenault
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Man, Ryan, I have shared that story, and especially that video with so many people. Thanks for sharing him with us!

10. Megan parker
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

This is an amazing post! We serve such an amazing God! What a great gift He has given you. This was so encouraging to me as I am dealing with running injury. Keep pressing forward in the right mind and spirit and He will be glorified!!!

11. Joel Genter
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Hey Ryan,
    You’re my hero man. My family and I used this as our devotion tonight. You are inspiring me to lead a more pure life. And hopefully I’ll get a little faster too.

12. Jesse Cook
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Ryan,

I thank the Lord for your public commitment to our savior Jesus Christ. It is a joy to be able to cheer for and pray for a brother who’s chief aim is to glorify God and win the race at the same time!

I have a question for you: Have you had a chance to read “Desiring God” by John Piper? If so, did you like the book. I think Piper’s ministry complements your ministry in many ways.

Thanks,

Jesse

13. Alexander Coleman
    Posted May 13, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Your post blessed me.
    The English word coach comes from the Hungarian kocsi (szekér), literally, wagon from Kocs, Hungary. Originally used to take a person from one point to another. Well, we all start somewhere and if are lucky, have a coach who picks us up and delivers us to another place, level, understanding, etc. Thankfully, because of Jesus Christ’s accomplishments, we can seek God as our coach. You probably know ‘em already but these verses are fun I think about while doing trail runs:

Habakkuk 3:19, Psalm 119:105, Proverbs 4:26

Much love in Christ

14. Posted May 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Hey, sweet! We have the same coach!

15. Susan Black
    Posted May 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

One of the best things I have ever read. Am sharing it with the beginner run group that I lead…..and everyone I know!!!!! I agree with David–we have the same Coach!!! Thank you so much for the reminder.

16. Charlene
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I just found this blog and am excited to share “My Coach” with my team of Cross Country runners – and to pray that Christ’s love will shine through me to a group of high school students. Thanks for your testimony Ryan (and Sara) – God’s blessings on your ministry and reflecting God’s glory through your running. It is wonderful to feel His pleasure on the fast and not so fast days :-)

17. Posted May 31, 2011 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Ryan, so impressed in how you speak out to the world of your faith in the one true and living God! In this world of demoralized sports figures, you are definitely a shining light! I am always proud to watch your running results and how you glorify God regardless of how well you do. I try to reach out to my running buddies and tell them of God’s wonderful grace that He has poured out on us. Not everyone wants to hear it but we have to keep shouting it from the mountain tops. Keep up the good work and praising the one true God!!

18. Susanna
    Posted June 17, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

So many people say you are crazy for leaving your earthly coach to take your direction each day from God…I say that just like radical men such as Keith Green and Eric Liddell who did things in faith that no one else understood…that you are glorifying God and I encourage you to keep on even though so many will not understand. You have a huge platform and remember the great cloud of witnesses watching, cheering. Remain faithful and thank you for reminding us all of who is in control of our every step no matter what we are doing.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”